Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· GetInTouch
· Product Reviews
· Search
· Statistics
· Stories_Archive
· Submit_News
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web_Links
· Your_Account

Disaster Recovery

Disaster can strike anywhere, any time. But how well equipped are you to manage them & restore normal operations as painlessly as possible? We hope this forum will assist. Please contribute!

Who's Online
There are currently, 16 guest(s) and 1 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

What is BCP?

BCP is the process by which an organization produces a document to assist recovery from partially or completely interrupted critical functions within a pre-determined timeframe following disruption.

Disaster Recovery Planning Portals

Disaster Recovery World
FEMA, Ready, BS25999

PHP-Nuke Recovery

Disaster Recovery Planning for PHP-Nuke needn't be difficult.

Disaster Recovery Planning Forum: Forums

The Disaster Recovery Planning :: View topic - Disaster Recovery Testing (technology)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disaster Recovery Testing (technology)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Disaster Recovery Planning Forum Index -> Disaster Recovery Planning: General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Disaster Recovery Testing (technology) Reply with quote

I am interested in finding out what other companies are doing relative to disaster recovery testing. Such topics as frequency of testing, user involvement, whether you do it internally or with a third party service provider, etc. Any general information related to technology recovery testing is helpful!
AustralianImmigrationJohn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Junior,

I work for the Australian Dept of Immigration & Multicultural Affairs. I am an IT Testing Manager with many years experience, experience I have found very useful as the Department's IT DR Co-ordinator.

In response to your questions:
Frequency: My department has just commenced a DR Implementation Plan, we now have a new mainframe and we are now commencing work on mid-range applications. At present we are going through an intensive 'dry run' testing phase and consulting business areas heavily.

User Involvement: I have taken the view that the responsibility on the setting up of testcases and procedures becomes that of the application business and technical areas. This approach has worked very well so far. I 'co-ordinate' with the technical areas first and gather technical tests, I then consult the associated business area and see whether there is anything else they would like to add or determine whether they are happy with the cases set up by their technical area. In 9/10 cases the business area leaves it to the technical area to create testcases. As we are not modifying code there is no requirement for 'Functional Testing' thus the testing should only be of the 'verification & validation' type, or health checks of the system once the DR site is up and running.

Internally?: As stated above, all preparation for systems testing is done internally, I have set up a suite in Mercury Quality Centre (Test Director) whereby all required cases are stored in a central repository that can be accessed in a DR incident, if the server is unavailable the plan is that a hard copy is held with me so I always have access to the people I need to speak to to get the testing done and the testcases (including steps) that need to be run. As far as the actual IT infrastucture goes this is contracted out thus our responsiblity is to verify the availability of the applications and the amount of data lost.

My email address is john.r.brown@immi.gov.au and John.Brown15@hotmail.com if you (or anyone else) that would like to discuss further or enquire.

Kind regards,
John
Australian Government
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Disaster Recovery Planning Forum Index -> Disaster Recovery Planning: General All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: